Reflective Post: Imperfect Work






Photo Credit: Kat Bouska



I have been spending time reading a writing a lot the past few weeks. 




When I was a young adult I started writing a novel. It was full of detail and timelines and purpose. Then life happened and I thought being an author was not my path. I trashed the novel and discarded the discs it was saved on. 




But, I have no regrets. It was my outlet at the time. I needed to write, and see fragments of my life played out in a character. I needed to twist the circumstances and make them go the way I wanted them to go. It relieved so much stress. 




The truth is, at the time I wrote it, I was in a relationship that I knew was going nowhere but I desired for it to be redeemed somehow, so I created characters to play out and fantasize about. There isn't anything wrong with that. I think if I was not so connected to the characters, maybe when the breakup happened, I would have kept the story. But I didn't.  




Yes, it could have been a great book! Now that I am older, I understand that this is how great books are born.  From pain, hope, joy , loss and even disappointment. I wasn't ready then to share, be imperfect or flawed in my stories.  




Today, I'm OK with imperfect work. As long as I create it and give it meaning and a purpose, it's enough.  I'm not worried about who will or won't read it. 




Living a Life of Creativity is about loving your own work and doing it for you first. Creativity is self care :)




Nherie

Comments

Send a friendly "HELLO" to Nherie!

Name

Email *

Message *