4 Ideas to Get Through Indecision


4 Ideas to Get Through Indecision

Many of the decisions we make are habitual, and we are not always in tune with every part of the mental process involved in decision-making. Nonetheless, even habitual decisions, such as getting up and starting your daily routine, constitute decisions.

Where indecisiveness shows up? 

It typically appears as procrastination or as a result of anxiety or other trauma. There is no question that any kind of mental struggle can make decision-making overwhelming.

I have come to understand that although there are times when making a decision can be quite challenging, the best way out of the cycle is to make a decision and see it through. The longer I remain undecided, the more anxiety and overwhelm I experience.

Today, I regularly take this advice when faced with indecision.

1. I don't worry about the decision being #wrong.

Ultimately, the majority of us are not trying to wreak havoc on our own lives or anyone else's by deliberately making decisions that will blatantly harm anyone. The real struggle often lies in trying to make decisions that are good for ourselves and those we love. I've learned to give myself a break and no longer worry if my decisions will cause some catastrophic domino effect. If you're concerned about what 'other people' will think, I can tell you that this is where much of the indecision will rest. Release the pressure to please others! Your decisions must be the best for you and yourself first!

2. Unless it is an emergency, there is no need to rush trying to figure it all out today.

You can decide on the direction you want your decision to take without having all the details mapped out. For example, when I was deciding whether to remain in one city after my separation and divorce or return to the city where I previously lived, that period of indecision in between was paralyzing. Once I made the final decision to return to the city where I now live, I found it much easier to map out the plan.

| Also Read: My 7 Reasons For Starting Over in a Small City

3. Build actions around the final decision.

Build actions around the final decision. Do something every day that reaffirms your commitment to your decision. This is the time to take action or small steps. Do you need to make a phone call to gather more information or send an email? If you are committed to healthier eating habits, have you taken the trip to the grocery store to get what you need for the week? If you are planning a move to a new city, have you set aside time to declutter your current home of items you no longer need? I strongly recommend using vision boards and manifestation boxes, as I believe these tools are unique and powerful for assisting you in taking action on your decisions—those things you truly want to see happen. Test your decision by allowing yourself to fully embrace it.

4. Give yourself pause and reflection time before making decisions as a group or team.

For collaborative or team-focused decisions that rely on more than just your input, encourage everyone involved to allow the ideas and decisions to rest for 24-48 hours before taking action. You'll be surprised at how, after only a couple of days of letting things rest, new ideas may emerge, or you might opt for a different decision altogether. I've frequently used this approach in my personal work-related projects and for decisions at home. Incorporating this pause, reflection, meditation, and even prayer time enhances the decision-making process. When omitted, I've felt disconnected from the action steps because things simply didn't feel right.

Final Thoughts

Sometimes, we can feel unsettled in our day-to-day lives with no known reason or urgency. Firming up a decision on something, even if you decide to change your mind about it later, can make a huge difference.

For additional ideas to help with indecision read this post from Healthline

Follow the new blog journey at A Creative Life by Nherie.

Follow Me: Pinterest

Comments

Send a friendly "HELLO" to Nherie!

Name

Email *

Message *