Go-To Routine That Grounds Me Emotionally

 


Maintaining routines also require adjustments when you are enduring emotional stressors. I am currently in an ongoing emotional stressed season. It is critical that I listen to my body for cues when I am overwhelmed, overstimulated, frustrated, angry or feeling drained. 

This routine is driven by patience, gentleness and grace, as the tendency to be hard on myself for not “feeling” productive “enough” can be a self-sabotaging habit that I am currently healing from. 


My Go-To Grounding Routine. 


Get dressed and cozy in the morning.

Although most of my work is from home, I personally like to get dressed for the day. In particular, when I don’t feel well, the natural inclination is to lay in bed longer, however the longer I lay in bed the worse I feel. When I get up and get dressed, clean face, decide on makeup or none at all, I immediately feel a sense of accomplishment. This gives me that extra grace to continue on with the rest of my routine. 


Spray my favorite perfume.

I pamper myself early with a light sunny feel melon perfume that I spray daily on myself and around my room. The scent brings a happy feel into the moment and moments throughout my day. If I turn my head or happen to walk through my own cloud of scent, I’m immediately reminded of the reason why this scent makes a difference. 


Create or work on something that is part of my personal goals first.

Before I start working on any collaborated work projects or other income jobs, I first do something that helps my creativity flourish first. Most of the time that will look like writing a blog post or outlining creative projects or ideas, and other times it will look like following up on a creative lead or resource or working physically on a craft. It will often also include sitting in quiet time or listening to a designated online mentor channel, podcast or listening to soft jazz music.


Eat healthy throughout the day.

I am a huge fan now of immunity drinks that combat inflammation and will have that first thing in the morning before breakfast and follow that up with a light breakfast and core vitamins. If nothing else, drinking as much water as I can is also a focus. Cut down on excessive salt and sugary snacks. 


Take breaks often.

As a predominantly remote worker, the tendency to stay online and overwork is a huge challenge for me.  Taking breaks often allows me to stretch, go outside to get air, take a nap, or watch a TV program and most importantly, eat well. Skipping meals for the sake of "getting things done" online is no longer negotiable. 


Acknowledge that every step I take is an act of healing.

All the good and challenging moments means that I am still alive and worthy of living life. When I wake up in the morning, whether unfavorable circumstances have changed or still running its course or season, I remind myself that today is a new day. Yesterday may still have left its negative residue on today, but mindfully moving through my routine, there is always a sense of possibility that today might be the day I figure something out that makes my life a little bit better. 


Are you in need of more emotional encouragement? 

  • You can read other similar topic posts here.
  • You can read my other blog posts connected to routines here
  • To kick-start your own gentle routine, you can learn more about my routine outline here.
  • Check out my Tumblr account for more emotional health resources.

Pinterest


Comments

Send a friendly "HELLO" to Nherie!

Name

Email *

Message *