Transitions Are Hard "Now What?"


Life and lifestyle changes have become the standard of our times. On the other side of the pandemic, I find it still a push to show up and meet the new demands of life in a way that still leaves room for creativity. 

Last year, I experienced a layoff from a role I was sure would be a longer-term secure position. As a matter of fact, to adjust to all the ways I needed to usher in my "new normal", I re-evaluated all my work roles to be sure that as a single mother, I could support both my self-care, mental health and the needs of my family. This included letting go of other roles from projects that were no longer moving forward. So, when this news came that this one role could not be supported in this new change in team dynamics, I had just gotten out of the emergency room from a terrible kidney infection, lying in bed, on medication and thought, "now what?" 

Perhaps you are in a "now what" season. So, I want to offer and share ways that I have (still am) adjusting to the uncertainty and the uncertainty that's still looming all around us. 

I allow myself to grieve the loss. Which also ushered in a long burnout season, which forced me to take another look at how I handle my personal self-care. 

I allow myself to ask for more help from resources available to me. I made calls to programs and made adjustments in my budget. I made a point to let myself know that this was temporary, and that additional resources, ideas and new project opportunities will come. 

I take time away from social events or media and towards self-care. I had to limit the amount of unnecessary noise from social media and other sources coming at me. I took a few trips out of town on some weekends. Nothing far or expensive. It helped me regain positive perspective. 

I continue my creative practices. It may have been slow with a lot of practice gaps but journal writing, capturing random thoughts and ideas on paper were key to many of the "right next steps" that I took action on. 

I use the time to re-evaluate and reinvent my work-life presence. Bridging work and passion can feel like an impossible undertaking. With all the skills that I have developed over time, it feels like it's the right season to go in a different direction. So, I've used the time to re-write my ideal career goals and begin going in that direction. 

There will not be one magic way of getting through any transition. All you can do is commit to starting sometime and seeing it through.

Here are some really good emotional and creative supportive articles that may also be helpful to you:

Did You Lose Your Job During This Pandemic? Read This ASAP! (mylifeiguess.com)

Can I Be Grieving After Losing My Job? (verywellmind.com)

How to Draw Your Feelings + Painting Emotions / Easy Art Therapy Activity Demo for Beginners - YouTube







Comments

Send a friendly "HELLO" to Nherie!

Name

Email *

Message *